We headed to Chiang Mai, Thailand for Singapore's 45th birthday. Chiang Mai is Northern Thailand and so very different from the Southern parts we have been to. It is located near the border of Laos and Burma in the mountains, it used to be the capitol of Thailand but was invaded too many times by Burma and Laos so they moved the capitol to Bangkok. It has a wall around the old city, where we stayed at this quaint boutique hotel, which I highly recommend to anyone needing a couple retreat within the city.
We brought our college friend along with us, Phil. Not sure if this was the kind of holiday he was envisioning but I had a blast playing with and seeing all he animals. Chiang Mai is known for mainly trekking, we didn't have enough time to do an eco trek into Laos so we opted to see all the animals, and yes, another temple! I swore to myself, no more temples that didn't mean anything to me, but this time we had a guide that actually told us more about the temples and culture. It made it much more interesting.
So here are the pictures...

Elephants at the bars... it was a highlight one night.
You know you are in Thailand when... the guy next to you has an elephant?

Tiger Kingdom
Also swore I would never do this, because I thought they abused the animals. It actually was the opposite. Of coarse they were making money off these animals but also had to take care of them and keep them happy?

I would only go into the cages with the small tigers, had heard too many stories about the big ones getting upset and people losing faces.

Dirk makes this tiger look small, they were just babies.
They actually really wanted to play but were also really tired.

Phil got in the cage with the big one!
AIG insured this place, you had to sign your life away before going in.

Elephant Camp
They were so happy taking baths in the river and playing in the water!
They were so happy taking baths in the river and playing in the water!

Painted pictures. This was the only part that I thought was mean, the rest they really demonstrated all their skills they used to use the elephants for in the forest for logging and what not.





At the zoo... I like to call this one...
Driving while talking on the phone... oh driving an ELEPHANT!

I wanted to go to the zoo for the PANDAS! They only were on exhibit from 9-11AM.
It was feeding time, the cool thing about this zoo, all the animals were out and being fed!

It was weird, they had some local market going on in the zoo right next to the lion enclosure. They were blaring music and this lion was just taking it all in. Like it was a normal Saturday afternoon, looking at the tourist?


Found out those purple flowers are lotus flower and suppose to bring good luck.I thought people were crazy in Bangkok for dipping them in water and putting them over their heads... I guess it makes more sense now? Same idea as getting a blessing?






Buddhist daily offering temple outside the hotel.
Offer their goods each morning.
Offer their goods each morning.
It really was an awesome trip. I am not an animal activist and was a little worried how I would feel about all the animals in cages and performing for you. They actually seemed really happy and the Thai people believe in reincarnation and luck so are rarely an abusive culture. It was a positive experience for sure.
We got our fortures told and they were pretty interesting. I will have to share in another blog.
Next up CHINA... Beijing for the Great Wall and Forbbiden City and maybe Xian for the Terracotta Warriors.
We got our fortures told and they were pretty interesting. I will have to share in another blog.
Next up CHINA... Beijing for the Great Wall and Forbbiden City and maybe Xian for the Terracotta Warriors.




























No comments:
Post a Comment